Location and site
- Guanajuato, formerly known as Cuanaxhuata, was conquered in 1529 by the Spanish. When they discovered veins of silver on four sites - Marfil, Tepetapa, Santa Ana, and Cerro del Cuarto - they quickly built fortifications to protect them. These four sites formed the city known as Guanajuato today.
- In the 18th century, with the decline of the Andean city of Potosi, Guanajuato enjoyed a period of prosperity. It was the first centre of silver mines in the world and the decoration of the churches was financed by the owners of the mines. Until the end of the 19th century, the city flourished thanks to its mines.
- The 19th century was aggravated by civil and foreign wars, as well as other setbacks. Despite efforts aimed at reform, the authority of the State was increasingly questioned. After Spain was shaken by a crisis in 1808, Mexico revolted in 1810. The first major battle took place at Guanajuato, and Mexico's independence followed in 1821.
Guanajuato, situated at 2,000 m. above sea level, developed from its four original centres, which became separate neighbourhoods linked by a sinuous artery that follows the narrow valley. Its spontaneous plan, which opens onto small squares and adapts as required to the topography, distinguishes itself from the plans of other cities of the New World because it lacks an orthogonal grid. In the middle of lush green hills, the monumental architecture of this little mining town, most of which is religious, is either Baroque in style (Notre-Dame Basilica, dating to the end of the 17th century, and the Church of San Francisco), or Churrigueresque (the Church of the Compañia of the 18th century). The numerous squares and the cobblestone streets, embellished with cast iron lanterns, are lined with whitewashed and brightly coloured houses.
|Ing. Luis Fernando Gutiérrez Márquez|
|Municipio de Guanajuato|
Plaza de la Paz no. 12, Zona Centro Zona Centro. CP. 36000
Guanajuato, Guanajuato, México
+52.473 732.1213, 732.0422